Thursday, July 26, 2012

Street Fair Planning... :)

Planning out my next Gold Award event! Next weekend (August fourth and fifth), I will have a tent at the Massapequa Park Street Fair! (yay!)

It's going to be a lot of work-but it will definitely be worth it!

I'm going to make some posters about Girl Scouting, as well as a tri-fold board about my project. I'm also going to make more necklaces with GSA info on them since they were such a big success on the Fourth of July (as my Gold mentor says "everyone loves freebies!") and are great for spreading the word about Girl Scouting.

Hopefully, a few GS troops will show up as well to show off their banners and pictures! Alot of people attend the street fair, so I'm hoping for the best! :)

Well researching Girl Scouting history this morning on www.girlscouts.org, I learned a bunch of interesting facts about GSA throughout the years.

For instance, I had no idea that Juliette Gordon Low funded Girl Scouting herself  by selling an expensive necklace and pair of earrings!

I also found it amazing that Girl Scouts was founded in 1912, and by 1920, there were nearly 70,000 Girl Scouts nationwide!

The First Girl Scout Troop (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Very-First-Troop-Leader.html)

"My purpose...to go on with my heart and soul, devoting all my energies to Girl Scouts, and heart and hand with them, we will make our lives and the lives of the future girls happy, healthy and holy."
-Juliette Gordon Low

No comments:

Post a Comment