Friday, July 13, 2012

Hi, my name's Allie. I am going to be a senior in High School in the Fall, and I am currently working for my Girl Scout Gold Award.

The Girl Scout Gold Award is can be earned by girls ages 14-18 (High School freshmen, sophomore, juniors and seniors).  Girls must complete a project that fills a need and creates change in her community. Her project plan must be approved by Girl Scout council before she can begin work on her project. A girl must work for 80 hours on her project.

In order to begin working on a Gold Award project, girls have to either earn their Silver Award or complete two GS Journey Projects.

The Silver Award requires a project of 40 hours of work that benefits the community.

I chose to do the two journey projects.

There are several journey projects to choose from, but they vary depending on your age. I chose to do the  GirlTopia and the Advocacy journeys.

For GirlTopia, the goal was to create a better world for girls. I thought that in an ideal world, more girls would be girl scouts since scouting offers many opportunities for personal growth and learning. So, I created Girl Scout brochures to give families considering scouting more information. I distributed the brochures to local schools and libraries. So far they have been a huge success! For my Advocacy project, I made a blog about my Assistance Dog in training-Slick. I wanted to get more information about assistance dogs and how train them out to the public.

After I completed my 2 journeys (which took a little less than one school year), I started brainstorming for my Gold Award. The Gold Award is very time consuming, so you want to choose a topic/project that you will be very interested in. I knew that I wanted to do a project that required alot of creativity and that involved art.


No comments:

Post a Comment