Monday, November 19, 2012

Christmas Caroling :) My Fave Holiday Activity

Christmas Caroling-a classic holiday activity that's sure "to make spirits bright!"

  As a young Girl Scout, my troop went on several Christmas Caroling Adventures. They were so fun that in Middle School, I decided to host my own Christmas Caroling party for my friends! The idea caught on so quickly and proved to be such a huge success that, 5 or 6 years later, my friends and I still go out every holiday for some good-old-fashioned-singing-fun! Our group grows larger each year-and everyone always has tons of fun!

I recommend that you include this activity in your Girl Scout Holiday party or just for fun! When I go with my friends, we usually go to the houses of those we know-you shouldn't go to a stranger's house (this is the same rule that we tell girls with cookie sales-avoid going the door's of strangers!).
Make sure everyone dresses warmly if it's cold out, and make sure the streets are cleared. Walk on sidewalks whenever possible, and choose a residential street. It is usually best to limit your group to one street, as kids get tired easily (my teenage friends and I included). Bring hot cocoa in a hot-drink dispenser for later. Oh, and be sure to bring copies of the lyrics just in case!

If you don't feel safe Christmas Caroling in the neighborhood-go and carol at a Nursing Home! All of those living at Homes love getting visits and are usually very interested in Girl Scouts and Girl Scout badges! Spread the cheer and happiness of the season wherever you go!

Classic Holiday Songs my friends and I recommend:
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • Frosty the Snowman
  • Oh Hanukkah
  • Santa Claus is Coming To Town
  • Jingle Bells
  • Silver Bells
*Choose short, easy songs that are easy to remember/girls already know

If you have one, bring an I-Pod doc for background music!

Other fun ideas for GS Holiday Parties:
  • Gift Exchanges/Grab-Bag
  • Christmas Craft-like cutting out paper snow flakes :)
  • Holiday Cookie Party-everyone bakes a tray of special holiday cookies and trades with other Scouts

**Please Note: It is important to plan in advance and get permission from parents


Photo From: http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=d&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS365US366&biw=956&bih=652&tbm=isch&tbnid=rnrxIUJ6C5EXsM:&imgrefurl=http://troop1023.wordpress.com/&docid=h76yOBt4YOpPFM&imgurl=http://troop1023.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/caroling1.jpg&w=305&h=217&ei=c_eqUO2VM5CB0AGusoD4DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=2&vpy=299&dur=85&hovh=173&hovw=244&tx=128&ty=56&sig=109449470522959253728&page=5&tbnh=142&tbnw=192&start=71&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:71,s:0,i:292

No comments:

Post a Comment