Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Fourth Of July Parade 2013!

It has been over a year that I have been helping with parades and other events with Girl Scouts! Last month, I helped coordinate/marched in my local Fourth of July Parade! It was the last parade that I will help to put together as the official local Girl Scout Parade Chair-and it was awesome!

Necklaces with GSA info attached that the Girls and I handed out-they were a big hit!

Last year, when I began my campaign to increase the amount of Girls attending local parades in order to promote Girl Scouting and show off our organization to the community, we only had 3 or 4 Girl Scouts marching in our 4th of July Parade. Since Girl Scout troops do not generally do many activities in the summer, we don't usually have a large turn-out for this particular parade. However, this year we had almost 30 Girl Scouts marching!

It took lots of fliers, e-mails, meetings, blog posts, texts, and phone calls to get this far, but I have successfully achieved one of my many Gold Award Goals-to increase GSA parade attendance in my community! If you are reading this right now, I want to encourage you to march in your own parades! Everyone loves to see the Girl Scouts out and about, and there's a certain sense of pride that comes with donning your uniform and walking with your GSA sisters!

The parade, as always, was so much fun! There were tons of American flags, smiling faces, and laughter! I will definitely be marching with the Girl Scouts again after I come home from my freshman year of college next year!

On a different note, I want to encourage all of you readers out there to set plenty of goals in life. Remember:

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”-Les Brown

 

Oh, and here's a picture of the car that was in front of us at the parade-that guy on top of the pick-up truck cab played "Star Wars" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" on the bagpipes for the entirety of the parade. He rocked, and we all enjoyed the interesting music! :)


 ~Gold Girl Allie :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment