Friday, January 15, 2016

7 Things I've learned from International Travel

Hello from London! (And from the Queen!)

7 Things I've learned from International Travel


1. Expect the Unexpected, Be Ready for Anything
Pack for gross weather, tummy aches and hungry moments


My raincoat, Pepto Bismol, Dramamine, and granola bars have been life-saving throughout my past month of traveling. You never know when your friend will suddenly get a stomachache in the middle of Scotland, or when you'll be hiking up a 311 step monument to the great fire of London and your tummy will start rumbling. I've learned to plan for all kinds of situations while packing lightly and thinking positively.

2. Just go with it

The best adventures are the Spontaneous ones! I've ended up in so many exciting places unexpectedly. This past week, I've taken the underground around London and jumped on random museum tours, decided to buy food from unexpected restaurants, and have gone on last-minute adventures.

3. Don't be afraid to ask for help

It's okay to be stressed or overwhelmed. When I was feeling homesick I talked to the director of my study abroad program, as well as to my family and friends for support.
Similarly, when you're out and about it's okay to ask the front desk of a hotel or restaurant staff member for directions. However, it's extremely important to remain safe and to ask credible sources for help, not random strangers on the street.

4. It's all about the Journey, Not the destination

Making travel fun is the key to an awesome experience. Most of our trip abroad has been spent traveling-on planes, trains and automobiles! It's important to enjoy every piece of the journey-not just the destination!

5. Sleep is everything

Getting sleep regularly and when you can is important. My friends and I are constantly trying to keep our sleep schedules regulated. We take naps when we travel, attempt to go to bed early and keep each other in check when we stay up too late. We don't want to be tired during an adventure, and we don't want to sleep in and miss out on a great opportunity!

6. Going Solo can be empowering and fun


I'm the only one in my apartment who has Thursdays free of classes and work, and so I've had to learn to go off on my own and to go exploring independently! It's great to be able to come home at the end of the day having figured out public transportation and having gone on a great adventure on my own! I've been taking myself to museums, parks, markets and all kinds of places that I would not typically go. I feel incredibly independent and capable when I am able to get myself to a new location and back without using Google Maps or being guided by someone else. I was really afraid to go out on my own at first, but once I figured out the local transportation system, how to plan my journeys, and how to get to places safely, I realized that it is a ton of fun to treat yourself to an adventure and go out on your own.

7. Friends can be the absolute best

 Although it can be empowering to go on journeys alone, it can be equally, if not more fun to travel with friends! My friends Sarah and Ella and I love to get out of our comfort zones and seek out new experiences. Sarah and I have been going out to see unique movies, and today we went to the oldest bookstore in London! Shared experiences can be exciting and fun, and the stories that we'll tell when we get home to the US will be awesome!

Going on adventures with friends are the best! Here are some friend-related pics from my journey thus far!

Sarah and I being groovy at Stone Henge!

Sarah and I @ Bath, England

Some of my favorite people and I at the top of Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh, Scotland.


Sarah and I do "Jazz Hands" with our tour guide in Glastonbury


Sarah and I in front of one of many churches that we've visited this month



To follow my adventures, check out my new Travel Blog! Here's the link:
https://theithacan.org/blogs/chapter-1-hello-world/








Photo/Gif Credits



No comments:

Post a Comment